[Board] Fwd: FOSS4G 2014 RFP Vote

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Jul 16 10:12:08 PDT 2013

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this update.

I appreciate all of the effort (and grey hairs) that the entire
Conference Committee puts into this decision.

I feel a re-vote after something like 5 business days is a good plan.
For the 2012 vote we saw a big difference in the second round of voting.

(Note that I would never say one result was a 'bad' one.  We all learn
from each FOSS4G event.)

I also respect Paul for not voting.  Working for a company that is a
strong part of a bid is a conflict of interest.  Earlier on in the
process I had to dig up the emails to see if this was the case, and I
was happy to see that he declined voting. (yes I watch quietly from afar)

In the event of another tie, since allowing the chair to vote would be a
conflict of interest, the decision should fall on the Board.

Yes the Conference Committee should update the 2015 RFP to add a note
about tie breakers, such as:

****
"In the event of a tie in voting, the Conference Committee Chair will be
given an extra half vote to decide the winner; in the event that the
Conference Committee Chair is unable to vote (i.e. conflict of interest
due to an involvement in one of the bids), then the final decision
should be given to the OSGeo Board, likely through a vote by all Board
members."
****

Those are my recommendations.

-jeff