[Board] FOSS4G 2014 RFP Vote

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Jul 23 03:33:01 PDT 2013

Hi Mark,

I've been hoping you would respond to let us know your position,
regarding you being on the DC local committee, for this vote.  Are you
saying that that is not a conflict of interest?

Unfortunately, I don't believe someone who is named in the proposal on
the local committee for a bid should be allowed to decide which bid is
better; I, don't see how that would be possible.

As for making up the rules as we go: the Conference Committee has worked
very hard at this, reviewing each proposal, and, the two bids are so
good that the committee could not agree on which is better.  We will now
vote as a Board to decide.

I am sorry if you are frustrated at this process.  We, are all
volunteers, working very hard and trying to pass on our passion to the
next FOSS4G.  Maybe, after this, you can join the Conference Committee
and dive into helping develop the next 2015 process; this would be great
to have your help at this, as it is not an easy task at all (I do know
from experience).

In the mean time, I cannot accept your vote for this 2014 process, only
because you are listed in the RFP document for DC for its local committee.

If this is still an issue, I suggest the Board meet for a Skype meeting
ASAP to solve this issue.  Out of all this passion and feelings, must
come something good, and I am happy to make time to work with you on this.

-jeff

-jeff