[Board] FOSS4G 2014 RFP Vote

David William Bitner bitner at dbspatial.com
Tue Jul 23 05:36:13 PDT 2013

The precedence to date has been that the regional events are events
selected and organized by the regions at a bit of an arms length from OSGeo
International. FOSS4G-NA in Minneapolis did not have the resources to
operate without OSGeo as a financial backstop (note we just needed the
"insurance"  of a financial backstop, not any up-front thanks to the
FOSS4G-NA organizers in DC).

If OSGeo is going to get in the business of selecting the locations for any
of these regionals, in my opinion, OSGeo better be willing to step up to
play a much more active role in these events. The direction from OSGeo to
these regional events has been wishy-washy at best. I think that OSGeo
needs a real strategy for these events. FOSS4G-NA is not a consolation
prize, it is an event thrown by and for the NA community with a focus on
the issues of that region.

If the OSGeo Board and the Conf Comm believe that an LOC needs more
experience, I think it is reasonable to encourage them to bid for a
regional event as things are run right now.

David

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com
> wrote:

>  Hi Mark,
> I do like your proposal of 1st place being awarded FOSS4G Global, and 2nd
> place being offered FOSS4G-NA the following year.
>
> However, I'm not sure who will be responsible for selecting the FOSS4G-NA
> city, or what process is in place (if any) for selecting a FOSS4G-NA city.
> If someone following this thread is in the know, I'd encourage you to speak
> up.
>

> On 23/07/2013 12:01 PM, Mark Lucas wrote:
>
> Sounds like we are making up the rules as we go along.  I think we either
> have a board vote or not.  If someone wants to abstain because they believe
> they have a conflict of interest that should be their personal decision.
>
>  I'd like to find a way to select one as the international conference and
> let the other organize as a regional.
>
>  I'd really like to find a way to build up OSGeo revenues through some of
> the regional conferences as well.  Perhaps as simple as when they need
> OSGeo financial backing we work a division of profits.
>
>  First step is simply selecting the international venue.
>
>  Mark
>

>  On Jul 22, 2013, at 8:36 AM, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 13-07-22 8:33 AM, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
>
> Right, this makes sense Arnulf.
>
> My concern was merely that if there is one proposal with "broad support"
> (a.k.a. conflict of interest), and all those people step out of voting
> (both on the conf committee as on the board), the vote will be very
> skewed. This is exactly what Daniel has pointed out.
>

> BTW, I believe Mark Lucas is on the DC LOC so we'd lose him as well for
> the vote unless I'm mistaken.
>

> --
> Daniel Morissette
> http://www.mapgears.com/
> Provider of Professional MapServer Support since 2000

> Cameron Shorter
> Software and Data Solutions Manager
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
>
> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254