[Board] Motions

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Jul 26 06:01:26 PDT 2013

The relevant OSGeo Policy is as follows:

B. No officer, employee, or agent of the Agency shall participate in the selection, award, or administration of a purchase or contract with a vendor where, to his knowledge, any of the following has a financial interest in that purchase or contract:
	• The officer, employee, or agent;
	• Any member of their immediate family;
	• Their partner;
	• An organization in which any of the above is an officer, director, or employee;
	• A person or organization with whom any of the above individuals is negotiating or has any arrangement concerning prospective employment.

Personally I'd be inclined to say Mark does not have a conflict of interest based on this criteria. However, that's intended to be a decision of the board per the following:

D. Board Action--When a conflict of interest is relevant to a matter requiring action by the Board of Directors, the interested person(s) shall call it to the attention of the Board of Directors and said person(s) shall not vote in favor or against the matter. However, the person may vote Abstain to contribute to having quorum for the decision. When there is a doubt as to whether a conflict exists, the matter shall be resolved by vote of the Board of Directors, excluding the person(s) concerning whose situation the doubt has arisen.

Clearly there is disagreement on whether conflict exists, so I believe that the board is skipping a crucial step here, and that is to have a board vote (excluding Mark) on whether there is in fact a conflict of interest.

Dave