[Board] Sponsor NASA WorldWind student competition

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Tue Mar 5 09:06:16 PST 2013

I would be -1 and against this.

The ossim team received a cease and desist letter from Patrick Hogan the PM for Worldwind about a year ago.  We were told we could not interface with NASA data sources in the same fashion as Worldwind.  Patrick went on to elaborate that he had to maintain complete control of the program to preserve his year to year budget.  There was one primary programmer at the time, they were intending to make the code visible in some fashion - but not as a true open source project.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

mark