[Board] 2013 Budget approval

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 02:13:22 PDT 2013

Hello all,

I apologise for my delay in response.

I approve the Budget as per the current revision
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=OSGeo_Budget_2013&oldid=69501

A few comments are inline, further down in this mail.

Thank you all for fruitful discussion!
Anne

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 17:28:40 -0400
Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:

[...]
> Frank, Cameron, Board,
>
> I agree with Frank that we should not allocate too many open-ended
> items, but in this specific case, both Jeff (via his note in the
> Google Spreadsheet) and then Cameron commented in favor of it, nobody
> commented to the contrary, and it seemed to make sense to me so I
> added it.
>
> I assumed that those funds would be for any unplanned professional
> services that could either help our admin situation in general, or
> stuff like talking to a lawyer for whatever legal question, etc. It
> was also my understanding that use of that special budget would be
> discussed by the board for approval in a similar way to the
> "Strategic travel (case by case)" item.
>
> All this to say, I am fine with removing this if that is the
> consensus and then we can allocate money through a board motion
> if/when needed.
>
> However, if you ask me to take a firm position as treasurer then I'll
> say let's keep it but relabel it as:
>
> "Other professional services (as/when needed, w/ board approval)"
>
> What do you think?

Sounds fair to me.

> There was also a question from Frank about why we'd allocate the
> whole 11k$ from GSoC mentorships from 2012 to a 2013 Code Sprint
> support budget. I support this idea as that gives us a clear budget
> to work from in allocating money to code sprints, and we all seemed
> to agree that Code Sprints fit in our priorities.
>
> However I already wrote that I expect this to be a global Code Sprint
> budget, not tied specifically to projects who had mentors in GSoC the
> previous year, and not conditinal on whether the projects in a given
> sprint participated in GSoC or not as that would be too complicated
> to deal with. I see this as a global 11k$ budget for sprints which
> seems like a fair number in the context of our overall budget.

Well said: all OSGeo projects will feel encouraged to organise events,
knowing that OSGeo will be able to support part of the costs. I
think that that's exactly what we are meant to do as a Foundation.

> BTW, please note that I just made a few minor changes to the budget
> in the wiki page (and sync'd with the Google spreadsheet). No numbers
> have changed, I mostly reorganized and relabelled a few items.
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2013

Anne
--
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Aghisla