[Board] OSGeo / OSGeo-Live / LocationTech & Location Intelligence conference

Andrew Ross andrew.ross at eclipse.org
Thu Mar 21 17:26:53 PDT 2013

Hi Cameron, Everyone

So far as I can see at the moment, there's no organized presence for
OSGeo at Location Intelligence. This is likely due to the overlap with
FOSS4G-NA but it's hard for me to say of course. As I'm sure everyone
realizes, this isn't a LocationTech conference.

LocationTech was approached to support it and have a presence there. The
LocationTech Steering Committee liked the idea and approved a plan to do
so. For what it's worth, David has also been in contact with
LocationTech (re: FOSS4G-NA) and supporting both events is something
desirable. We wish there wasn't an overlap in dates of course. We're
also talking to Steven about FOSS4G in Nottingham.

Some of you may have caught talks of mine, I continue to express
positive things about OSGeo when appropriate - nothing has changed in
this regard since I got involved in 2007. I'm sure I won't be the only
one saying good things about OSGeo at Location Intelligence.

I'll be representing LocationTech members and projects at LocationTech
Intelligence. I'm also involved with some interesting joint activities
with other organizations. Those are my plans at the moment.

The services LocationTech provides are much needed and complementary to
OSGeo's strong grass roots community development. Increasing adoption of
open source geospatial and growing the ecosystem will have wide reaching
benefits. As the saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats.

For what it's worth, it is fantastic to see a clear direction set for
OSGeo. Making tough decisions such as what to focus on and what to forgo
is really really hard. That was a fine bit of leadership!
Congratulations to the board.

Andrew

--
*Andrew Ross*