[Board] President elect and limiting terms

Peter Batty peter at ebatty.com
Sat Mar 23 17:28:50 PDT 2013

When I was on the board of GITA, they had the idea of a President Elect
also, and I think it worked well for continuity. Each year they would
choose a President Elect, who would become President in a year's time. They
could then work closely with the current President so that there was a
smooth transition. Also the former President would automatically stay on
the board for one more year, as Past President - so the President would be
on the board for at least three years (unless they stood down for some
reason), with the middle of those three being their term as the actual
President. I think this worked pretty well in terms of providing a
rotation, but also providing continuity.

We'd need to work out how whatever we did would fit in with our current
election process, which re-elects half of the board every year, with board
members having a term of two years. Currently the board chooses the
President from among its members, I don't know if that would still be how
it would work if we followed a "President Elect" model? Being President is
more of a commitment than just being on the board, so we'd need people to
specifically stand for President. If we still had basically the same scheme
as now, the board would need to choose a President Elect from among the
incoming board members, since they would be the only ones guaranteed to be
on the board for another two years. If we only had those 4 or 5 people to
choose from, it's quite possible that none of them would want to stand for
President. Especially if you are new to the board and don't really know how
it works, it's quite a big commitment to make (we didn't have a rush of
volunteers to be President when Arnulf stood down).

In practice it would probably make sense that someone should have been on
the board for a year at least before standing for President, so they have
some idea of what would be involved. I don't know that this should be an
absolute requirement, but it's something to think about.

So I like the idea in principle, but I think there are quite a few details
to think through in terms of how we would actually implement it, and we
might need other changes to how the board is elected, if we decided to go
that way,.