[Board] 2014 RFP

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 02:16:53 PDT 2013

I agree with Paul's suggestion, that the FOSS4G 2014 be targeted at a
North America location.

My reasons:
* I feel it is important to help future conference planners by being
consistent in our selection strategy.
* As Paul notes, we have in the past set in place a 3 way venue cycle:
Europe / North America / Rest of the world, and we should continue with
that strategy for 2014.
* For these reasons alone, (which are points for discussion with the
conference committee), I'm +1 for FOSS4G 2014 being held in North America.

I understand that Paul is also suggesting another reason for holding
FOSS4G in North America is that North American/European FOSS4G events
are more lucrative than FOSS4G events in the rest of the world. That is
correct, however, I expect that a FOSS4G-NA and other FOSS4G-Europe
regional conferences will run in the same year as the global FOSS4G
event, and most will return a profit back to OSGeo. So profit back to
OSGeo hopefully should roughly even out.

Of note, for FOSS4G 2015, I think that it is important to select a city
with an effective OSGeo community behind it - best demonstrated by
successfully having run a regional FOSS4G event.