[Board] Business cards - for Directors

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Tue Nov 19 02:42:10 PST 2013

2013/11/19 Seven (aka Arnulf) <seven at arnulf.us>:

> Jachym,
> a few years ago we printed a stack of neutral OSGeo business cards
> pointing to info at osgeo.org. Plus Tyler had a set of his own with his
> name and contacts on it. At one point we also shipped a stack of
> business cards around the world but that felt a bit odd because it was
> more expensive than printing them.
>
> Later I printed them on my own in a double sided version with the OSGeo
> contacts and logo on one side and my business contacts on the other.
> That worked perfectly and helped to clarify things when introducing myself:
> "This side pays my rent, the other side is my contribution to the
> community. Please choose whether you want to pay me for my time or
> request volunteer time because you want to do some good for the community".
>
> This worked remarkably well (most people did not pay me but at least
> started to think about what they want :-). It seems to be common
> practice and I have seen it with quite a few other not-for-profit
> organizations.
>
> Official OSGeo roles needing a business card should probably be able to
> get reimbursed (if worth the effort). I didn't want any fancy design,
> the logo and contacts seemed good enough, but that is just me.
>
> Cheers,
> Arnulf

I saw that double sided card for an OGC/MetOffice member at Nottingham
and seemed to me a good idea. I'm pretty sure my employer would
perfectly agree to print on the other side of my cards the OSGeo
contact as it's also in some way an asset for them. Needless to say
that having just one card type is a plus.

--
Jorge Sanz
http://www.osgeo.org