[Board] [OSGeo-Conf] Using the FOSS4G brand

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Wed Nov 20 10:10:01 PST 2013

I think that OSGeo has a claim to a trademark, and would not be out of place to register that trademark.

The goal would be exactly what you describe – to make sure the FOSS4G name isn't co-opted by someone. It could still be "licensed" extremely liberally.

FWIW, I think that OSGeo can be a valuable "mentor" (for lack of a better word) to people putting on conferences, and using the FOSS4G "brand" to further those ends is not a terrible idea.

Darrell