[Board] Website for OSGeo Code Sprints

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 10 23:57:07 PDT 2013

2013/10/11 Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Daniel Morissette
> <dmorissette at mapgears.com> wrote:
>> Hi Board, and TOSprint list members,
>>
>> As we organize the Vienna Code Sprint (March 2014), we realized the need for
>> a proper website for the sprint to give some visibility to the sponsors in a
>> home that looks better than a raw wiki page.
>>
>> We discussed this with Stephan who is organizing the Vienna sprint and they
>> setup a simple website for the sprint where the event summary and the
>> sponsors can be presented, and a link to the wiki is provided for people to
>> sign up, etc.
>>
>> What I would like to suggest is that we start placing websites for our code
>> sprints, under a common umbrella which is easy to find by members of the
>> community. A few simple steps are involved, and I'd take the lead on them:
>>
>> 1- Setup http://sprint.osgeo.org/ as a landing page to list current and past
>> sprints, similar to the current foss4g.org landing page listing current and
>> past foss4g's
>
> Yes! We should consider to even set up the pages for the previous
> sprints to show that it is an established way of thinking and
> developing.
>
>> 2- Then use subdomains for each sprint's website as we do for FOSS4G each
>> year. The Vienna 2014 sprint URL would be
>> http://vienna2014.sprint.osgeo.org/ (the actual website setup by Stephan
>> will be hosted on github, so no hosting requirements are involved, just a
>> DNS entry pointing to it)
>
> +1
>
>> 3- If you get the idea, then we could also eventually invite other OSGeo
>> sprints to join under the same umbrella, e.g. bolsena2014.sprint.osgeo.org,
>> and so on for GRASS and QGIS sprints, etc.
>
> +1 (will be forthcoming for sure)
>
> one issue is how to handle multiple sprints in one year while avoiding
> too long names?
> Would this be ok?
>
> http://grass2013genova.sprint.osgeo.org/
> http://grass2013prague.sprint.osgeo.org/
>
>> I don't think we need a formal motion of the board for this, so I am mostly
>> sending this as an FYI expressing my interest to move forward with this
>> proposal unless I hear objections or suggestions of better alternatives.
>

> Excellent!
>
> Markus

Hi all,

Are you sure you want to move the structure of this from folders to
sub-sub-sub domains? I understand everyone wants to deal with his own
stuff but a little bit of collaboration would be fine here, no?

Reversing the structure Markus suggested we have: Sprints -> Project
-> Year -> City, I think we should cut on the project subdomain. A
project team should be able to collaborate and set up their website
tech of preference and be consistent with it over the sprints they do,
so we should have

http://grass.sprints.osgeo.org/2013/Prague
http://grass.sprints.osgeo.org/2013/Genova

In fact I would prefer that all of them collaborate on the same
website (as OSGeo is all about projects collaborating together) but
maybe is asking to much. In fact in my experience, what probably will
happen is that the first project will set up their thing, and if it's
nice and easy, the rest will follow their path.

I use Jekyll for my personal website so I'd be willing to help on this
if needed. I like it a lot as it's easy to write pages or posts on
reStructured Text or markdown and push the changes to git to update
the whole site.

Cheers

--
Jorge Sanz