[Board] Website for OSGeo Code Sprints

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Oct 15 21:04:58 PDT 2013

Hi Jorge,

Please see my reply below

On 13-10-11 2:57 AM, Jorge Sanz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Are you sure you want to move the structure of this from folders to
> sub-sub-sub domains? I understand everyone wants to deal with his own
> stuff but a little bit of collaboration would be fine here, no?
>
> Reversing the structure Markus suggested we have: Sprints -> Project
> -> Year -> City, I think we should cut on the project subdomain. A
> project team should be able to collaborate and set up their website
> tech of preference and be consistent with it over the sprints they do,
> so we should have
>
> http://grass.sprints.osgeo.org/2013/Prague
> http://grass.sprints.osgeo.org/2013/Genova
>
> In fact I would prefer that all of them collaborate on the same
> website (as OSGeo is all about projects collaborating together) but
> maybe is asking to much. In fact in my experience, what probably will
> happen is that the first project will set up their thing, and if it's
> nice and easy, the rest will follow their path.
>
> I use Jekyll for my personal website so I'd be willing to help on this
> if needed. I like it a lot as it's easy to write pages or posts on
> reStructured Text or markdown and push the changes to git to update
> the whole site.

I thought about the approach you suggest here, with subfolders instead
of subdomains, but I found that this approach as more limiting
implications than just using subdomains.

In the example that you gave above you are forcing all GRASS sprint
websites to reside on the same server year after year. This sounds like
a great idea at first (I mean it), but the technology that you choose
today will be obsolete in 3 years, and then how will you manage the
switch to a new web hosting technology, with a proxy to a second server?
What if the group managing the sprint one of those years has a better
system in place, or has no jekyll skills, or simply teams up with
another group who also happen to have a website?

That's too many questions I didn't want to have to worry about.

My main objective was to see all sprints, current and past, listed at a
common location. How each sprint uses their subdomain(s) does not matter
much to me. Some could use subfolders, others could use a new subdomain
for each sprint. As long as they are listed in a common and easy to find
location (http://sprint.osgeo.org/) then I'd be happy.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/