[Board] [OSGeo-Conf] 2015 North American conference

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Apr 8 13:33:11 PDT 2014

Hi Everyone,

FYI, at the Vienna Sprint two weeks ago, we had a similar discussion
about the (lack of) decision process for the location of FOSS4G-Europe.
The people involved in the discussion included past FOSS4G and
FOSS4G-CEE organizers, some key members of the EU community and a few
board members, and the conclusion on the question of the decision
process was that OSGeo (the international body) and its conference
committee were not the right people to make the decision on the
FOSS4G-Europe location, and it was proposed to invite all local chapters
in Europe to appoint one rep to a FOSS4G-EU conference committee that
would make the decision on the location of the event. The creation of
this FOSS4G-EU committee should be discussed on the local-chapters list
at some point.

I am reporting this here because the same could possibly apply to
FOSS4G-NA: the global OSGeo may not be the best entity to decide on the
location of FOSS4G-NA and maybe we should defer to reps of the local
chapters in the region?

Let's keep this in mind when we discuss this in the board meeting.

BTW, if there is only one candidate for FOSS4G-NA 2015 then there is no
need for a formal decision process and we should keep things simple, but
sooner or later the need will arise.

Daniel

Daniel Morissette
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201