[Board] Suggested text for "Expectations for Board Membership"

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 04:36:31 PDT 2014

As we move into a board election, I think it would be beneficial to
document what we consider should be expected of board members. I think
that it would be helpful for potential board members when considering
joining the board, and also something that board members can point
toward if community members complain about lack of action from the board.
Maybe think of it as a moral contract.

If others think it is a good idea, I suggest we add to this page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors

Are there other points which should go on this list?

What is expected of a board member? Boring legal details are listed in
section 3 of ourbylaws
<http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html>, but
I think it would be helpful for us to extend this to practical
guidelines. Something like:

* The board's primary responsibility is to efficiently and effectively
make decisions regarding the day to day running of OSGeo (bylaws
<http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html> section
3.1).

* Board members should expect to spend 1 to 3 hours per week on board
activities.

* Board members should sometimes contribute a little more, maybe
negotiating with the community or external organisation, collating or
developing ideas and writing them up, doing some extra research to back
a decision, or helping with administrative work like taking minutes.

* Board members should attempt to attend all board meetings, which
happen at a frequency of ~ once per month, which take ~ one hour.
(Selection of meeting timeslots are to be negotiated to try and suit all
members.) If unable to attend, the board member should attempt to
provide opinions on issues before hand, and vote on motions afterwards.

* Board members should monitor and contribute toward discussions on the
board email list, and aim to vote on motions within 2 working days.

* Board members are not paid for their service (bylaws
<http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html> section
3.4), but should not be out of pocket if working for the board. For
instance, a board member should be refunded travel expenses if requested
to travel on behalf of the board.

* Ideally some board members should be prepared to speak on behalf of
OSGeo at events.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager