[Board] Suggested text for "Expectations for Board Membership"

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 13 05:24:36 PDT 2014

Cameron,

My view is different on a couple points:

1) I do *not* think the board is supposed to manage day to day operations.
 When things are working well, we should be establishing an annual budget,
putting in place policies, reviewing operations, and making some unusual or
strategic decisions.  I think it is a (mild) failure in budgeting when we
are making individual decisions about spending items (though a few at least
are exceptional), and for the most part things should be operated day to
day by the various subcommittees and officers.

2) 2-3 hours per week is somewhat on the high end for actual core board
work.  I'd say more like 2-4 hours per month is the minimum.

I do particularly like the point that board members should sometimes except
to take on extra initiatives.  Here I'm thinking about things like
reviewing the operation of some sub-committee, or writing up proposed
policies and seeking feedback from the community.

I think an accessible description of board member responsibilities on the
board of directors page is a helpful thing.  Thanks for working on it.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com