[Board] Suggested text for "Expectations for Board Membership"

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Wed Aug 13 08:30:02 PDT 2014

I agree with Michael, that it's a good idea to write down the expectations,
and I don't think the timing is a big issue.
Because it's not a bad but a good thing for board members to know what the
community expects from them.

If OSGeo goes well, then it's very easy for the board to justify that they
did a good job. But if troubles occur or there is a lot of work but not
much visibility, then it's easy to blame the board. Having some
expectations defined before is for each board members safety and to have
some rough guideline.

Daniel

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
> wrote:

> I must admit, when I first glanced at this initial message early in the
> morning my thoughts in my head were 'this is the wrong time, in the middle
> of the Board election, to start defining roles'.  The time for this should
> have been before asking nominees.
>
> Regarding clarifications about the expectations of being a Board member,
> could those vocal in this thread (Cameron, Frank, Daniel, mpg) mind
> drafting a new page on these expectations, and the new Board in September
> can review it and edit accordingly?
>
> However my experience tells me that we must be very careful with
> expectations, within a volunteer organization.
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2014-08-13 11:48 AM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>
>> +1 to Cameron here from me too. He's trying to clarify the expectations
>> of a board member, not setting any rules - these are good things to be
>> thinking about as we all think about the next round of Board Members.
>>
>> .mpg
>>
>>  On Aug 13, 2014, at 7:07 AM, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think Cameron is inventing or changing any rules, he is just
>>> proposing to collectively document what is and has always been expected
>>> from a board member for the posterity.
>>>
>>> FWIW I am also in favor of documenting our processes and expectations
>>> (in general) as much as possible to help future boards in their work, and I
>>> find that Cameron has exceptional patience to help with that documentation
>>> process (he managed to walk the membership to a consensus on the new
>>> charter member election process, something nobody managed to achieve
>>> before), so instead of shooting down his initiatives, I think that more
>>> charter members should help by contributing to them.
>>>
>>> All that being said, I do not have the time and energy to argue this
>>> point any more, so this will be my one and only email on this topic.
>>>
>>> Daniel

Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan
eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.info