[Board] Added "OSGeo Charter Responsibilities"

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Fri Aug 15 16:53:43 PDT 2014

Hi Jeff,

On 2014/08/16 2:06, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Hi Venka,
>
> I agree, that the new Board should consider assigning more
> responsibilities to our Charter Members.  What potential types of
> "crucial issues" could you see involving the Charter Members down the
> road?  Do you have any examples?

About "crucial issues" there a many, one of the recent example was the
new rules for
Charter Member (CM) Election. I think that the rules of the CM election
needs a broad
consensus from the membership and cannot be changed by board decision
alone.
How can the board change the rules of CM elections when it is CMs that
elect
the board in the first place?

With the revised election process item 6 [1], 5% vote of charter
membership to become CM
is making the hurdle so low that it makes the whole election process
(one that Jorge has worked
so very hard) a waste of time and effort. Can someone point me to a
volunteer organization
where one could be elected  by getting mere 5% vote from the electorate?

I suggest that the new board that will start functioning soon to revisit
CM election rules
(which, I think, is a "crucial issue") and after seek broader consensus
from the charter members
(through electronic voting of necessary) re-formulate these rules.

Please note that I raise the issue about a process and not against any
individual.
I am very pleased to see great new team of CM has entered OSGeo, I am
also glad
to see the excellent list of nominees for the Board elections.

Venka

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process_2014#Nominations

P.S. I could have made my views on the new CM election rules earlier. I
did not realize
that rules has changed until the election process had started and
refrained from expressing
my views until the elections were over. Perhaps there are others who
feel the same as me
and I urge them to speak up now, so that we could make our community better.