[Board] Added "OSGeo Charter Responsibilities"

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Mon Aug 18 14:16:48 PDT 2014

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Do you mean that seconding should be a requirement ? Wouldn't make it
> complicated to extend the community to countries where there are not already so
> many Charter members ? And with so many nominations, that might transform the
> discuss mailing list into a high volume list where we get lost in the flow of
> emails.
>
> Even
>
>> Also thinking out loud on this, with so many nominations this year I
>> (and from what I was told later, many others did this as well) relied on
>> seconds/support emails for several of my votes.  If a nominee does not
>> have any visible support (other than the original nomination) from any
>> other community member, should that nomination be automatically rejected
>> by the CRO?  Just wondering the community's thoughts on that.
>>
>> -jeff

Just adding a requirement to have a decent profile on the wiki could
help. The candidate can put there helpful information so the
nomination can be more a personal statement by the nominator, with
only the highlights and not a complete resume. The work then is
balanced between the nominator and the candidate. That ads a little
bit of extra work for candidates but reflects better the interest of
him/her to be a member, no?

On the other hand, knowing before the vote the support to the
candidate by other members is a valuable information, how to get it
*easily* but without adding too much overhead to the community is a
challenge. Maybe a mailing list is not the best tool for this,
thinking on something like the *thumbs-up* of social networks, reddit
or stack overflow, mmm

--
Jorge Sanz
http://www.osgeo.org