[Board] Added "OSGeo Charter Responsibilities"

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Mon Aug 18 16:32:21 PDT 2014

Further to Jeff and Venka's suggestion that nominees should need more than
5% of YES votes, I'd like to ask:
"Under what conditions should a candidate be denied OSGeo Charter
Membership?"

I feel any person who is perceived to be working against the ideals of
OSGeo should be denied membership, such as people pushing for a hostile
take over. I'd be surprised to see such people fitting OSGeo Positive
Attributes [1].

There may be some people looking for the prestige of charter membership,
who are not intending to contribute to OSGeo. These people probably
wouldn't fit OSGeo Positive Attributes [1], but even if they did, they
would not likely harm the goals of OSGeo. I don't see an issue with
accidentally including a few people from this category in our membership.

Everyone else who fits OSGeo Positive Attributes [1] will be valuable to
include in our membership and it would be detrimental to accidentally
exclude (and potentially offend) these people due to overly restrictive
selection criteria.

As such, I'd be wary of changing criteria much from what we already have.

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process#Positive_Attributes.

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Jorge Sanz <jsanz at osgeo.org> wrote:

> > Hi Jeff,
> >
> > Do you mean that seconding should be a requirement ? Wouldn't make it
> > complicated to extend the community to countries where there are not
> already so
> > many Charter members ? And with so many nominations, that might
> transform the
> > discuss mailing list into a high volume list where we get lost in the
> flow of
> > emails.
> >
> > Even
> >
> >> Also thinking out loud on this, with so many nominations this year I
> >> (and from what I was told later, many others did this as well) relied on
> >> seconds/support emails for several of my votes.  If a nominee does not
> >> have any visible support (other than the original nomination) from any
> >> other community member, should that nomination be automatically rejected
> >> by the CRO?  Just wondering the community's thoughts on that.
> >>
> >> -jeff
> >>

> Just adding a requirement to have a decent profile on the wiki could
> help. The candidate can put there helpful information so the
> nomination can be more a personal statement by the nominator, with
> only the highlights and not a complete resume. The work then is
> balanced between the nominator and the candidate. That ads a little
> bit of extra work for candidates but reflects better the interest of
> him/her to be a member, no?
>
> On the other hand, knowing before the vote the support to the
> candidate by other members is a valuable information, how to get it
> *easily* but without adding too much overhead to the community is a
> challenge. Maybe a mailing list is not the best tool for this,
> thinking on something like the *thumbs-up* of social networks, reddit
> or stack overflow, mmm
>
> --
> Jorge Sanz
> http://www.osgeo.org