[Board] My attendance in Portland

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Jul 14 04:30:54 PDT 2014

Hi Cameron,

I would agree that it is very important to have a face of OSGeo
representing the foundation at the main FOSS4G event.

As I grow into this role (I've only been President for about 1.5 years
now) I realize the demands of the position, and how important it is to
build and maintain relationships (especially with other foundations and
groups in our 'ecosystem').  There is a lot to the position, and a lot
that no one sees (I am brought into discussions as OSGeo president
almost every day it seems).

With that said, adding to my responsibilities, with already so much on
my plate, is not possible.  Plus you can search the OSGeo Marketing
mailing list for questions from me about this time last year for booth
materials for Nottingham (unanswered, materials non-existent).  The
reality is that it always comes down to boots-on-the-ground for making
the booth happen (massive thanks to Ian Edwards last year in Nottingham,
as an example).  As president I will be already pulled into so many
things in Portland.

As an example, the LOC is already on me about the AGM...and I must soon
start the Sol Katz process...likely help Jorge with elections....    get
my drift?

Also, unfortunately again charter members send me private messages
saying great things that I want the whole community to hear - but in the
end it is me bringing it public again. So, here it is again: I got
several responses privately to this 'attendance' message that it is
terrible that i must ask for funding as president, that there should be
a separate president travel budget and i shouldn't have to justify
publicly travel..that this message is noise and we should be talking of
more important things etc etc...all true, but i wish they would bring
this public and not me have to say it.  well here again i am.

So to answer your questions directly Cameron: I am more than ready to
represent OSGeo in the Portland event.  I feel it is very important to
have this constant and stable face of OSGeo at events.  As for
increasing my role, that is really physically impossible; I will do my
best, but I would ask that we rely on a local chapter for gathering
booth materials etc.

Your President,

-jeff