[Board] Lets focus on being effective

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 19:10:10 PDT 2014

OSGeo board,
I'm disappointed that the last board meeting didn't seem to be as
professional and effective as it could have been.

Firstly, I'm very disappointed with myself, for forgetting to wake up in
time to attend. I only arrived at the tail end of the meeting. I'm sorry.

But secondly, I'm disappointed with the emotional and ineffective way
some very important issues were discussed. Complaining about how much
work is being expected or done by someone,  referring to opinions
gathered privately, and complaining about being out of pocket without
addressing specific or holistic actions is a sub-optimal way for a board
to work.

A very valid issue was highlighted, in that the OSGeo president should
not be out of pocket financially while taking on the role of president.
There is a significant amount of work that a president can take on, and
a limited amount of time. We are right to question whether we should
financially compensate people for taking on some of these roles, or
whether we leave some tasks un-actioned.
Such discussions need to be holistic. As Dirk has mentioned, if we are
to spend money, we need to create money (through chasing membership or
sponsorship fees, or conference surpluses, or ...), and we need to cover
accountability for the money spent. Handling money adds a lot of
overhead to an organisation, which has its downsides as well.

Let us continue these discussions in an effective manner.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager