[Board] Election process 2014

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Jun 14 05:36:25 PDT 2014

Le samedi 14 juin 2014 13:42:17, Cameron Shorter a écrit :
> OSGeo board, Jorge,
> I've updated the proposed voting process docs. Feel free to review and
> add comments. I intend to email osgeo-discuss in ~ 9 hours.

Cameron,

A few remarks below

> Key changes:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2014#Revised_selection_process
>
> *Revised selection process**
> *
> In previous years the Charter Member selection process has been a little
> contentious. We typically receive numerous nominations from

Shouldn't that be "for" rather than "from" in that context ?

> high caliber
> members of our community, and insufficient positions to accept them all.
> This typically results in unnecessary disappointment and bad blood.
>
> In response, the OSGeo board has agreed to trial tweaking the voting
> process. The aim is to automatically accept recognised OSGeo community
> leaders.

I've not a strong opinion about this, and I believe that this is not what is
intended, but I'm wondering if some would not feel that the are two kinds of
Charter members : the ones who don't need to be elected, and the ones that do.
Perhaps an explicit message stating that "whatever the way they got in, all
Charter members are equal" could alleviate this.

> A week's provided to all community comments.
>
> Design guidelines:
> * We want a process which is simple to understand and implement
> * We want a process which encourages recognised OSGeo community leaders
> to become OSGeo charter members
> * We want a process which is difficult to abuse
> * For the first iteration, we should err on being more selective in our
> criteria, with potential widening of selection criteria in future years.
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process_2014#Positions_for_recognised
> _OSGeo_Community_Leaders
>
> *Positions for recognised OSGeo Community Leaders*
>
> OSGeo aims to provide OSGeo Charter Membership to all recognised OSGeo
> community leaders who apply.

"who apply": reading this, I would understand that those community leaders
should apply themselves, instead of being nominated. Which is contradicted by
the last sentence of your proposal. So perhaps replace with "who are
nominated"

> Hopefully, sufficient positions are
> available. If there are more candidates than available, then membership
> will be allocated to the first to apply. Remaining nominees will be
> automatically offered to go through the standard voting process.

I'd say that the sits for the OSGeo community leaders should be extended to
accomodate as many as nominated ones, otherwise it could cause some
frustrations for the late nominees, as the timing criterion is rather
arbitrary.

--
Geospatial professional services