[Board] Election process 2014

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Sat Jun 14 06:33:15 PDT 2014

Even,
thanks for the suggestions which I support (due to the short time
frame before going "public" I refrained from editing the Wiki in case
that the suggestions would in the eyes of the authors change the
content too strongly).

Board,
my proposal would have been different but I actually like this one
even better, well done.

We maybe want to tone down "bad blood" into "dissension" or something
less martial. So far no blood was shed during the process afaik. :-)
(I know this is a proper English term but for us less English native
speakers it does have a fierce tone to it).

I like the implicitness of having to *do* something real for OSGeo in
order to become a Charter Member. But it will make it more difficult
if not impossible for people in non-organizationally recognized
positions to become a member. There are probably many out there who
work in projects which are "just" labs-status, in incubation, on the
fringes of our core software development - but they are still highly
valuable supporters of OSGeo. Maybe adding a phrase that we still
encourage everybody to join/apply/get nominated regardless of their
institutional tie-ins would make it feel more inclusive.

Thanks,
Arnulf

On 06/14/2014 08:36 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Le samedi 14 juin 2014 13:42:17, Cameron Shorter a écrit :
>> OSGeo board, Jorge, I've updated the proposed voting process
>> docs. Feel free to review and add comments. I intend to email
>> osgeo-discuss in ~ 9 hours.
>
> Cameron,
>
> A few remarks below
>

>> Key changes:
>>
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Election_2014#Revised_selection_process

*Revised selection process**
>> * In previous years the Charter Member selection process has been
>> a little contentious. We typically receive numerous nominations
>> from
>
> Shouldn't that be "for" rather than "from" in that context ?
>
>> high caliber members of our community, and insufficient positions
>> to accept them all. This typically results in unnecessary
>> disappointment and bad blood.
>>
>> In response, the OSGeo board has agreed to trial tweaking the
>> voting process. The aim is to automatically accept recognised
>> OSGeo community leaders.
>
> I've not a strong opinion about this, and I believe that this is
> not what is intended, but I'm wondering if some would not feel that
> the are two kinds of Charter members : the ones who don't need to
> be elected, and the ones that do. Perhaps an explicit message
> stating that "whatever the way they got in, all Charter members are
> equal" could alleviate this.
>
>> A week's provided to all community comments.
>>
>> Design guidelines: * We want a process which is simple to
>> understand and implement * We want a process which encourages
>> recognised OSGeo community leaders to become OSGeo charter
>> members * We want a process which is difficult to abuse * For the
>> first iteration, we should err on being more selective in our
>> criteria, with potential widening of selection criteria in future
>> years.
>>
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process_2014#Positions_for_recognised

_OSGeo_Community_Leaders

>> *Positions for recognised OSGeo Community Leaders*
>>
>> OSGeo aims to provide OSGeo Charter Membership to all recognised
>> OSGeo community leaders who apply.
>
> "who apply": reading this, I would understand that those community
> leaders should apply themselves, instead of being nominated. Which
> is contradicted by the last sentence of your proposal. So perhaps
> replace with "who are nominated"
>
>> Hopefully, sufficient positions are available. If there are more
>> candidates than available, then membership will be allocated to
>> the first to apply. Remaining nominees will be automatically
>> offered to go through the standard voting process.
>
> I'd say that the sits for the OSGeo community leaders should be
> extended to accomodate as many as nominated ones, otherwise it
> could cause some frustrations for the late nominees, as the timing
> criterion is rather arbitrary.
>

>> Recognised OSGeo Community Leaders are defined as people who have
>> been voted into a position of authority within official OSGeo
>> projects and committees, where the voting community includes at
>> least 3 OSGeo charter members.
>>
>> Acceptable roles are currently limited to: * Project Steering
>> Committee member of a Graduated OSGeo Project * Chair of Official
>> Local Chapter * Chair of an OSGeo committee
>>
>> The application process for recognised OSGeo Community Leaders is
>> the same as for other nominees.

- --
Seven of Nine
http://arnulf.us/Seven