[Board] OSGeo involvement in ufficial project

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Tue Mar 11 03:47:49 PDT 2014

Hi Maria,
These are good questions, and a positive outcome of this email thread would
be to refine our OSGeo Priorities [1] to provide guidelines to answer these
types of questions.

OSGeo's strength is our community of volunteers and our collective quality
of projects.
As we are volunteers with very little budget, we usually are not in a
position to support projects financially, and we are not in a position to
commit our volunteers to specific tasks of helping a project.

What we can do is note:
*Project XXX aligns with OSGeo principles (as per board priorities), and
makes use of / extends OSGeo projects. The OSGeo Board notes the potential
value of this project and recommend that this project should be encouraged.*
*Projects which have followed similar principles have attracted OSGeo
volunteers and attracted co-sponsorship, and the OSGeo Board would like to
encourage uptake of this project.*

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Board_Priorities

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Maria Antonia Brovelli <
maria.brovelli at polimi.it> wrote:

>  Dear OSgeo Directors
>
> as I happen sometimes to be invoved in applications for some european or
> national projects, I'm wondering if OSGeo wants to be involved in such
> appplications (and consequent projects)  and in which way (partnership,
> advisory board membership, supporting with an endorsement, nothing at all).
> Horizon2020 has started and in my opinion this could be an occasion at
> least of visibility also for OSGeo. I'm not speaking about possible
> involvement of single members of OSGeo, that's another story.
>
> I realize that I'm asking that on a privileged point of view (Politecnico
> is one of the best technical university in Europe) and therefore there
> could be a reciprocal interest for both the parts and that, on the
> opposite,  you have to be cautios because obviosly you have to deal with a
> great variety of possible situations.
>

>  Thanks for considering this question, if you believe it fits the
> interests of OSGeo also.
>
> Best.
>
> Maria Brovelli
>

>   Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
>
> Vice Rector for Como Campus - Politecnico di Milano
>

> Public Participation GIS: a FOSS architecture enabling field-data
> collection
>

> http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17538947.2014.887150#.UwPVuIVnibF
>

> ISPRS WG IV/5 "Web and Cloud Based Geospatial Services and Applications" - Co-chair
> - OSGeo Charter Member - ICA - OSGeo Advisory Board Member - SIFET
> Scientific Commitee Member
>

> Via Natta, 12/14 - 22100 COMO (ITALIA)
>
> Tel. +39-031-3327336 - Mob. +39-328-0023867 - fax. +39-031-3327321
>
> e-mail1:  <maria.brovelli at polimi.it>maria.brovelli at polimi.it
>
> e-mail2: prorettrice at como.polimi.it

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager