[Board] OSGeo involvement in οfficial project

Dimitris Kotzinos kotzino at csd.uoc.gr
Wed Mar 12 04:24:50 PDT 2014

Dear all,

this is a very interesting discussion.
Having tried to do that for a number of non-profit organizations mainly
in Greece my experience is rather negative, especially for organizations
relying solely on volunteers.
There are two main problems as I see it:
1/ severe legal obligations coming mainly from the fact that official
participation (and here I exclude advisory boards, etc.) usually entails
some kind of budget and management of this budget in an official way
(and according to EC or national regulations). Most of these kind of
organizations lack this structure and do not really want into the
trouble of establishing one (leaving alone issues of non-profit that
might also inhibit this).
2/ participating or sometimes even endorsing competitive projects on an
official capacity (e.g. as OSGEO) can create all sorts of troubles on
"why endorsing him/her and not me" or at a later stage "who handles the
money and who gets"paid" from the money" that come through these sources.

I am not saying all these to sound negative; as I said I investigated
this couple of times myself. So investigating this for OSGEO might worth
it. In any case I am in favor of revisiting the guidelines for OSGeo.

Finally, from Jachym's e-mail I would also like to keep the point on
establishing a European legal presence for OSGEO, something like maybe a
European OSGEO chapter. I am not taking a stance of being in favor or
against; I am saying this is a valid idea to investigate in the future.

Best regards,

Dimitris

--
Dimitris Kotzinos, Ph.D.