[Board] [OSGeo-Conf] OSGeo and FOSS4G as a trademark

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Sat Sep 20 15:09:30 PDT 2014

I agree with Steven and Jeroen and others who have raised this over
the years.  There are similar organizations [1], [2], [3] that provide
an example.  Some with CC0 licensed policies to adapt or to ask
advice.

If all parties are agreeable, I think that Venka and Shinji and Markus
and Jeff should make a proposal to the Board to have OSGeo trademark
FOSS4G.  Then the Board might delegate that to a handful of people
from various parts of the world to work with a contracted trademark
attorney.

While visiting the topic of trademark, OSGeo might want to make sure
OSGeo and the OSGeo logo are trademarked and if so in a manner
appropriate for the scope.

Best regards, Eli

[1] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/programs/legal/trademark
[2] https://www.python.org/psf/committees/#trademarks-committee-tmc