[Board] Please review: Open Letter asking to avoid format fragmentation in LiDAR standards

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Apr 20 07:59:02 PDT 2015

Hi Cameron,

In terms of my own feedback to your letter (I cannot speak for the
entire OSGeo Board), I would prefer to remove any reference to any
specific company or institution (such as Esri), and focus the goal of
the letter (as opposed to a flame war) on the needs for standards for
LiDAR data.  As this page is written now, it is not a surprise to me
that media outlets are drooling over this letter.  But what good can
come out of that, other than upsetting a large geospatial vendor in our
ecosystem?

Personally, I have spoken to Martin about this face-to-face, and I was
at a presentation he did on this exact topic at FOSS4G-Asia in December
(I moderated his session, small world sometimes isn't it); it is a
frustrating situation that he was put through, and I support him though
this.

But, since you are asking the OSGeo Board now, I cannot support such an
attack against one organization formally.

Short story: can you reword your wiki/letter to focus on standards for
the LiDAR format, and not attack one organization?

-jeff