[Board] Please review: Open Letter asking to avoid format fragmentation in LiDAR standards

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 08:35:53 PDT 2015

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your feedback.
We did address specific comments (similar to yours) during the request
for comment phase, before we asked for signatures.

1. Now that we have asked for signatures (for the last week or so), it
is inappropriate of us to change the text that people have signed up to.

2. I do acknowledge your concerns about directly singling out one
vendor, and I initially tried writing the story without mentioning them.
Unfortunately, this one vendor is so central to the format fragmentation
story that it is difficult to tell the story and be specific about the
request without mentioning them.

3. I'm also mindful that the story has already been breaking on some
spatial media for a while now (one of the features of open
communication), and mass media is likely to break the story soon - I'd
estimate within 12 to 48 hours. In that timeframe, I personally don't
have the time for a rewrite.

So unfortunately, for these 3 reasons, I think it inappropriate to
rewrite this Open Letter.

Jeff, I think you have made your vote clear, but can you please
officially vote +1, +0, 0, -0, -1 to these 2 proposals. Can the rest of
the board please do so also as we need to decide whether the mass media
report on this story with or without OSGeo board endorsement.

Regards, Cameron