[Board] Fwd: OSGeo CoC committee proposal

Kristin Bott bottk at reed.edu
Tue Aug 11 10:44:30 PDT 2015

Hi Jeff + all --

Thanks for your feedback on the proposed committee. Our responses to your
comments are summarized below. (See also the CoC committee wiki page
<http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/CodeOfConduct_Committee>[1].)

Let us know if you have additional concerns / thoughts; we look forward to
seeing the board move this initiative forward.

cheers -

Camille Acey and Kristin Bott

Feedback

   1.

   Membership - include both voting and non-voting members to help achieve
   the dual purposes of the committee (Goals: guide policy around CoC and
   other initiatives to increase diversity; deal with reports of violations of
   the CoC).
   1.

      Open email list, open membership. -- Discuss and help guide policy
      around the CoC as well as other initiatives that can help increase
      diversity in our community (COC-discuss at osgeo.org). No limits on the
      number of people involved in this capacity.
      2.

      Private membership, limited to 5 people per committee proposal. --
      Receive and anonymize any reports of violations to the CoC (
      COC-private at osgeo.org) as well as provide support as a first line of
      response to incident reports (in cooperation with the board, LOCs and
      moderators)

   1.

   Chairs - need to specify
   1.

      Camille Acey and Kristin Bott will co-chair for the first year of the
      committee

   1.

   CoC Reports - allow for anonymous report submission, fears of “what if
   someone on the CoC committee is out of line”
   1.

      Allow for an option of anonymous submission via a webform (no login,
      no identifying information collected). Invite reporters to provide
      identifying information so the committee can follow up re:
reports, but do
      not require this (do not want to create obstacles to reporting).
      2.

      Reports against CoC committee members can be made to the board (and
      vice-versa). If a CoC committee member is personally involved in a CoC
      report, they will be removed from the intake and follow-up of
that incident.

   1.

   Concerns re: blacklisting
   1.

      The CoC committee has no desire to blacklist individuals or provide a
      heavy-handed police-like role. Instead, we aim to serve as a resource to
      LOCs, moderators and the board, continue to iterate towards more
inclusive
      practice/policy, and help to maintain institutional knowledge about CoC
      violations and the decisions the LOCs, moderators, and/or board make with
      regard to those violations. “Violations” refers to any acts by
individuals
      or groups who repeatedly act in a way that is contrary to the stated
      priorities of OSGeo as an organization (i.e. the board-approved CoC).
      2.

      We intend for the committee to maintain an archive/repository of such
      incidents as well as any organizational decisions around individuals’
      conduct/participation (e.g. names of banned individuals); the OSGeo LOCs,
      moderators, and/or board will absolutely continue to determine
whether/not
      individuals are welcome to participate in OSGeo events /
projects / forums.

   1.

   Committee name + structure (rename? Create CoC as a subcommittee?)
   1.

      An explicitly-named committee evidences OSGeo’s commitment to the
      CoC. As such we wish to retain the name of “Code of Conduct Committee”.

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/CodeOfConduct_Committee

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com