[Board] Recognizing monetary contributions by Local Chapters

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Mon Dec 14 17:09:01 PST 2015

On 12/14/2015 5:53 PM, Massimiliano Cannata wrote:
> I don't have clear idea on this and I feel I need more discussion and
> toughs.
>
> a spur of the moment comment:
> - I like the option to recognize particularly active local chapter (but not
> limiting it to monetary contribution)
Yes, not limiting to monetary contribution. I mentioned monetary
contribution because
OSGeo Sponsorship entails monetary contribution [1] and some Local
Chapters, apart
from their very active role in promoting/strengthening OSGeo Global
Foundation, have
also made a sizable monetary contribution.

Since these chapters fulfill the sponsorship criteria, there could be
some "official"
recognition thereof.
> - I don't like the idea of funding local chapter without a specific "goal"
> or "mission" (then a specific request to the board)
+1 to that. In the earlier case above, the "goal/mission" was the successful
conduct of the OSGeo hosted FOSS4G Global Conference.

Anyway, this topic could be discussed further at the f2f in Jan. 2016, I
think.

Best
Venka

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/sponsorship