[Board] Fwd: OSGeo CoC committee proposal

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 14:37:55 PDT 2015

Hi Camille and Kristin,
It is great to see you both initiate a CoC committee, and I'm delighted
to see you both involved in it.
I'm +1 for your proposal (although I'm not on the board any more).

I have a minor suggestion re membership, based on conventions from other
OSGeo committees.

Committees have volunteers come and go, sometimes with many people
volunteering to be members, sometimes with few.

I'd encourage you to have no fixed limit on the number of members that
you have at any one time. Rather existing members can vote in a new
member at any time, and people can retire at any time (and be thanked
for their service).

As I expect this committee might receive some strong opinions from
people who jump in, say their point, then leave, you might want to
expect people have provided valuable contributions for a period of time
before they become a voting member. (Maybe ~ 3 months as a guide, but
that a timeframe need not be a criteria).

As such, you might want to make it clear that all are welcome to
contribute to public email discussions, but votes are only counted from
committee members.

Thanks and warm regards,
Cameron