[Board] Fwd: OSGeo CoC committee proposal

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Sat Jul 25 04:21:37 PDT 2015

> Dear Kristen and Camille,
> I would like to thanks you for your interest in bringing up such a kind of
> important mission.
>
> I would 100% support the committee if its scope is to promote and
> pro-actively take actions to let OSGeo be a respectful community.
> Nevertheless, I think as Jeff noted, that the committee shall be fully open
> to everyone interested and that no "police" role is given to it.
>
> In my opinion the existing laws and the already established board shall
> handle this without recording any black-list.
>
> Best
> Maxi

I agree with Jeff and Maxi's support on your work. An OSGeo committee
has to be an open group, with open communications and decisions to
support the mission it's stating. If the committee wants to maintain a
smaller group for an specific task (and very delicate in this case)
that's great.

For example I'm part of working groups like maintaining the Foundation
planet or administering the mailing lists server and I'm not even a
voted member of the Systems Administration Committee, On that role I'm
just a volunteer working with other volunteers under the "supervision"
of a bigger group of smart and dedicated people.

So why a full OSGeo Committee that has a mission to encourage
diversity and inclusivity has to be a small closed group? Why not
having a normal committee that appoints that working group for that
matter (incident reports) and leave space to other tasks that lead
this Foundation to a broader audience? There's nothing else to do to
encourage diversity that evolving and implementing a CoC? really? I
don't know, maybe helping the Conf and Edu Committees with ideas on
grants and student programs for our events can be part of the scope of
this committee.

Maybe my problem is that with that mission, I imagined that committee
more like an Outreach Committee because I want to see it in a positive
way and a "Code of Conduct Committee" has too many negative
implications in my head.

Again, I'm grateful to all your passion and commitment on diversity
and I expect to see great results on your work that are not related at
all with incidents or people banned of our conferences.

Cheers

--
Jorge Sanz
http://www.osgeo.org