[Board] [OSGeo-Discuss] [Ica-osgeo-labs] The LAS format, the ASPRS, and the “LAZ clone” by ESRI

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 02:47:04 PST 2015

Patrick, others,
OSGeo and related OGC communities have been successful previously in
stopping ESRI's inappropriate creation of OGC standards. See here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geoservices_REST_API

I'd suggest that if we as OSGeo wish to be effective at blocking a
vendor lock-in tactic, as seems to be the case, then we should consider
developing a similar wiki page for the LAS format debate.

0. Write an open letter (who to? OGC?)
1. Describe the issue. (Is there someone who knows the issues well
enough to describe them?)
2. Describe technically why one format is or is not better than the
other, on both a technical and commercial point of view.
3. Is the Open LIDAR format an OGC standard?
4. If needed, collect signatures.
5. If needed, ask OSGeo Board to present the open letter

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,