[Board] sponsor contacts

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Nov 13 11:45:38 PST 2015

Hi Jody,

Related to sponsors, I would like to finalize the sponsor levels.  When
I review the wiki (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_2015_Sponsorship), I
would like to suggest the following levels:

Previous Levels
---------------

Sustaining Sponsor 	$50,000
Principal Sponsor 	$20,000
Supporting Sponsor 	$10,000
Associate Sponsor 	$3,000

New Levels
----------

Sustaining Sponsor $25,000
Principal Sponsor $10,000
Supporting Sponsor $3,000
Associate Sponsor $500

I'm for making sponsorship of OSGeo as easy as possible for both
organizations and individuals.  I actually feel that the money amount
isn't as important, as it is for OSGeo to give a chance for
organizations and individuals to be promoted by OSGeo (as you know, I
consistently show slides now on OSGeo sponsors and OSGeo service
providers during my talks), as well as for giving them an opportunity to
proudly show that they are official sponsors of OSGeo, that they
officially help grow Open Source geospatial projects.  This promotion
really helps these companies and individuals, and it also helps the
community realize that we have a healthy ecosystem. And yes I don't see
the need to limit sponsorship by how much revenue I or any other company
earns. (note that our one existing sponsor, thinkWhere, would be changed
from an Associate Sponsor, to a Sustaining Sponsor, because of the
amount they paid).  I also propose that we give past sponsors, the
perfect example is GeoCat, a one-year 50% off offer, to renew now (the
following year would be fullprice).

Am I still not convincing you?  Well then: Gateway Geomatics would like
to kick off these new levels, with a new Associate Sponsorship for $500
level.  (yes, tricky tactics by me, but this is to make a point, of let
us give the opportunity to our community members to have a stage, on our
marketing materials and promotions).  Again, I feel the money amount
means much less to OSGeo, than this promotion is for these companies,
and the benefits to the community overall.

I do commit to this proposal.

I also wonder if the big process of creating a working group, then
making the levels, and then changing the benefits for each level, and
then contacting all previous sponsors, is too much to chew at once, for
us volunteers.  I propose we change to the levels I propose here, change
the website amounts, and start contacting sponsors today.

If you reject this, well then, I sure tried to get this moving :)

-jeff