[Board] [geoforall-ab] IMPORTANT - feedback and vote will be needed: geo4all relationship

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Nov 26 04:58:25 PST 2015

Dear All,

GeoforAll was officially created through various MoUs by OSGeo. OSGeo is the parent organisation for Geo4All  as only OSGeo  can make any MoUs with external organisations for Geo4All (ICA, ISPRS and more MoUs with UCGIS etc are in various stages).

If OSGeo Board wants , GeoforAll  can explicitly add in the criteria that OSGeo software is the primary focus (it is already implicit that any university establishing Open Source Geospatial Labs is using OSGeo software anyway and promoting open data, open standards, open educational resources etc.) BUT we should not exclude any  Free and open source used for education and should welcome all who are following Open principles in GeoEducation. In OSGeo Education we have been using other free and open source software  (R etc) and including course materials etc for long time.

Whichever option we take has to be as simple as possible as everyone is a volunteer. And i think transition of the education committee activities to geo4all is the most natural and easiest option   . All the Geo4All  infrastructure is in OSGeo (mailing lists, emails for regional chairs etc). Many OSGeo projects and initiatives have their own websites, logos etc (QGIS etc) and  Geo4All website can also be transferred to OSGeo infrastructure anytime .

Infact, when there discussions started in the  mailing list etc , we arranged a meeting to discuss ideas at FOSS4G Como and Charlie Schweik (Chair of OSGeo Education Committee) was requested to chair this so we can find best solution for moving forward.  When i saw the meeting summary [1] on the discussions on OSGeo Education and Curriculum Committee and GeoForAll that  Unanimous in the room was the opinion that the two are really the same thing, and that the OSGeo education and curriculum committee page should now point to the GeoForAll pages. It clearly gave the message to me that we need to take action and i decided to support this transition.

Most importantly we all need to keep in mind the efforts put in by all the universities and organisations and all our volunteer colleagues globally who worked hard to establish Open Source Geospatial Labs trusting the MoUs. This has to be honoured by all.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_EU_Como_2015_Preconference_meeting