[Board] OSGeo Student awards for FOSS4G Seoul

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Sep 8 04:36:29 PDT 2015

Some background on this: I've been strongly asking the GeoForAll gang to
manage these awards all themselves.  FOSS4G-Como was a learning
experience in that there was no prep done for the "OSGeo Award" (no
certificate/plaque, treasurer was not informed, what followed was 1.5
months of back and forth emails from confused recipients to myself).
Since then twice I have asked the GeoForAll to manage this award
(created by them) fully themselves, and starting with FOSS4G-Seoul.
Today I read Suchith's message saying for all local committees to manage
the OSGeo Award - this is exactly not what I was requesting/saying.
Local committees have enough on their plate, running each conference,
this award must be managed entirely by GeoForAll (GeoForAll gang should
contact OSGeo treasurer, print certificates/awards, arrange who to
present award, ask local committee for timeslot, makes sure payment is
received, publishes news).  Technically such a requirement would have to
be approved by the OSGeo Conference Committee anyway, and likely added
to the hosting RFP; but that shouldn't happen in my mind as this award
should be managed entirely by the GeoForAll group.

As background, I manage the Sol Katz award each year, now in its 11th
year, so I know the effort involved.

Suchith, please take this to the GeoForAll group and make changes to
your plans accordingly.  And sorry for my strong message.

Thanks,

-jeff