[Board] OSGeo Student awards for FOSS4G Seoul

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Sep 8 04:49:44 PDT 2015

Hi Jeroen, indeed it seems to be a learning process.  I don't mean to
stop the award, I hugely support thanking our students, but all I am
saying is that it needs to be managed properly (as I mentioned there are
many small tasks that need doing for each award).  I think it is easy to
"+1" an award creation, but harder to take the time to do the small
tasks.  I feel that GeoForAll could/should manage the award completely,
as it is a student award.

If others disagree with me please speak up.  Maybe GeoForAll should take
this topic to the OSGeo Conference Committee list, and they can decide
how to handle?

-jeff

On 2015-09-08 8:42 AM, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm confused now. I understood GeoCat sponsored the student award(s) and OSGEO sponsored academic awards targeted at professors etc involved in education. I think it doesn't make much sense to spend 1500€ from GeoCat on this at the moment since there is to much confusion IMHO.
> Thanks,
> Jeroen
>
> GeoCat Bridge for ArcGIS allows instant publishing of data and metadata on GeoServer, MapServer, PostGIS and GeoNetwork. Visit http://geocat.net for details.
> Jeroen Ticheler
> GeoCat bv
> Veenderweg 13
> 6721 WD Bennekom
> Tel: +31 (0)6 81286572
> http://geocat.net
>
>> Op 8 sep. 2015 om 20:36 heeft Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Some background on this: I've been strongly asking the GeoForAll gang to manage these awards all themselves.  FOSS4G-Como was a learning experience in that there was no prep done for the "OSGeo Award" (no certificate/plaque, treasurer was not informed, what followed was 1.5 months of back and forth emails from confused recipients to myself). Since then twice I have asked the GeoForAll to manage this award (created by them) fully themselves, and starting with FOSS4G-Seoul. Today I read Suchith's message saying for all local committees to manage the OSGeo Award - this is exactly not what I was requesting/saying. Local committees have enough on their plate, running each conference, this award must be managed entirely by GeoForAll (GeoForAll gang should contact OSGeo treasurer, print certificates/awards, arrange who to present award, ask local committee for timeslot, makes sure payment is received, publishes news).  Technically such a requirement would have to be approved by the OSGeo
Conference Committee anyway, and likely added to the hosting RFP; but that shouldn't happen in my mind as this award should be managed entirely by the GeoForAll group.