[Board] OSGeo Student awards for FOSS4G Seoul

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Sep 8 10:26:36 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Speaking as one voice in the conference committee (hopefully others will
> chip in)

I think you pretty well summarized it.

> IMO, we have this the wrong way round - it must be the Geo4All team who
> manage the whole process including setting up the award, publicising,
> evaluating and deciding, dealing with payments, certificates, press releases
> etc.
>
> The only things the LOC should need to do are:
>
> Provide a time slot for the award ceremony if requested (say up to 10
> minutes max)
> Publish some content (if provided by Geo4All) on their website
> Appoint a member of the LOC to liaise with the local Geo4All representative
> if she/he is not a member of the LOC
>

> I don’t think that needs to become part of the RfP but if it’s needed those
> 3 lines should be enough. The Geo4All community can then evolve the award
> scheme as they gain experience without it impacting the organisers of our
> conferences who have an enormous range of things to worry about already.

If you ask a LOC for a small time allotment well in advance and follow
up and provide updates, then LOCs will be happy to provide the time.
If you ask at the last minute, then LOCs will be less happy and less
flexible.  Something short like Steven suggested could be added to the
RFP but it is probably not needed yet.

Eli