[Board] [Ica-osgeo-labs] OSGeo Student awards for FOSS4G Seoul

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 8 10:27:18 PDT 2015

I request the Geo4All Community to put in ideas on how we can manage the whole OSGeo Student Award process from 2016.

Thanks Zoltan, Maxi for the info. on ideas from various other conferences and we can look to to get ideas and inspiration. But in my humble opinion, we should not be too prescriptive and should give flexibility for local Geo4All contact in charge of running these student awards to explore new ideas as they think is best to suit local requirements/needs.

For example,

* Do we want to restrict it to only University students?
* Do they have to have a paper submitted at the academic track of the conference?
* What about software demo competitions?
* What about map poster events etc etc?

There might be lot of ideas that members of LOC, Geo4All community have that need to be welcomed.

For example, the Europa Challenge for Building solutions for sustainable world [1] organised  for FOSS4G-Europe was an excellent idea  (fully managed by Maria and Patrick who put many many days of efforts behind the scenes to get the procedures, selection committees, evaluvation criteria etc) to get this competition in place . But the biggest lesson that i learned from the competition was when  some high school students from a remote school in Alaska won the competition  as it  itself speaks great  volumes on its real impact of these OSGeo student awards in providing opportunities . It shows what is achievable for high quality students irrespective of their socio-economic backgrounds  if we just provide them an opportunity.

We need to have a Geo4All local contact in charge of arranging more of these kind of  student competitions and awards for future FOSS4G conferences. We need all of you to help us with this, so please keep sending your ideas/inputs.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] http://eurochallenge.como.polimi.it