[Board] [OSGeo-Conf] Looking for the keeper of the videos from FOSS4GNA- PDX (2014)

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Thu Sep 24 08:53:05 PDT 2015

Hello,
this practice is currently in place.
For instance Goe4All has its own budget for student award, but also other
committee that requested they have a budget allocated as far as I know.

This make sense as long as:
- there are specific cost voices that can be used based on request of money
allocation approved by the board
- the expense is approved by the committee (not only from the chair, as
this guarantee equity in my opinion)
- there should be a monthly report by each committee to the board reporting
key actions, decision and expenses (this should happen in any case...to
keep the community updated)
- the Board can decide to suspend the budget allocated in case a violation
of agreement is detected

Maxi

> +1 indeed!
>
> Jeroen
>
> > Op 24 sep. 2015 om 12:52 heeft Daniel Morissette <
> dmorissette at mapgears.com> het volgende geschreven:
> >
> > +1 to that.
> >
> > Note that there were precedents of working this way in the past for
> specific things. For instance, when I was treasurer, we had a pre-approved
> budget for professional services to help deal with IRS non-profit status
> stuff. Also, SAC has pre-approved yearly budget to deal with hardware so
> that we can order hardware parts to fix our servers (for instance) using
> that budget without having to go back to the board.
> >
> > All this to say that this practice already exists and perhaps it needs
> to be extended a little bit. We need to trust our directors (or committee
> chairs) to make the right decisions, especially for small amounts like this.
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> >> On 2015-09-24 3:52 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
> >> ...just a note from the side: In my experience organizations like OSGeo
> >> can get a lot more done if some people with official roles can have a
> >> budget. Like in:
> >>
> >> The officer XY can authorize expenditures of up to US$ XXXX without the
> >> need to ask the board, make a motion, wait for all to answer, etc. The
> >> officer will report expenditures at the next board meeting and stands
> >> responsible. The board can at any time cancel any budget.
> >>
> >> Officers could be: The President, SAC committe member, Marketing
> >> Committee member, etc.
> >>
> >> Process: The officer / committee member explains the need to the board
> >> and requests for a budget. The board discusses and either grants or
> >> denies the budget. Grants can be time limited. Every request has to be
> >> renewed (annually, quarterly, monthly).
> >>

> >> Could help to become more reactive and somewhat relieves the board.
> >>

> >> Have fun,
> >> Arnulf
> >

> > --
> > Daniel Morissette