[Board] Some issues occurred with one potential GSoC mentor (Warning: long email)

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Sat Apr 2 03:45:36 PDT 2016

Hi all

We don't know the timing of these emails and I really don't care. My
only concern is about students applying to the GSoC and having a fair
chance to participate on the program. From the wiki page I see Brian
added himself to the list of proposed mentors on March 14th[1], the
same day the applications for students opened[2], listing himself as
SciPy, PostGIS and GDAL.

If there's been any misunderstanding please try to fix it and do your
best, assume good faith and communicate, because at the end we are all
here working for the community and welcoming new people in this case
with GSoC. Please remember our code of conduct guidelines, specially
the second one[3].

I'm totally confident on Margherita's good judge, so Brian if you have
any issue with any other member of this community please deal with it
privately and think on the hard job is needed to get the GSoC program
working and that we are all human and need each others to get things
done. As a past mentor and point of contact between OSGeo and gvSIG I
know how much work is needed to get this done and how easily the lack
of communication can make things difficult, specially on this
procedures that proceed over several months.

All the best

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Google_Summer_of_Code_2016_Administrative&diff=prev&oldid=97385
[2] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
[3] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Of_Conduct#Specific_Guidelines