[Board] MOT: support UN Workshop participation

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Sat Aug 20 09:04:48 PDT 2016

OSGeo Board Members, Professors, All -

  In these early stage conversations, a few ideas :

* I feel it is possibly fatal to the efforts for FOSS Geo to speak
about "replacement" of proprietary software, inside a United Nations
committee or elsewhere, for several reasons:
  - it feeds fear among management that it is a war ..real
intelligence is needed now, not fear-based decisions
  - there is more than enough work and resources for participants
right now .. there is an explosion of geo data and new applications,
     a plurality of allocation methods is needed, not monoculture.
Do not become the likeness of your "enemy"
  - real invention and new repurposing is happening daily, not
"replacement" of one old widget for another

* My experience with the United Nations in San Francisco has been
mixed... There is a continual addition of well-intentioned people who
are insufficiently funded, making constant neediness a norm. However,
some players bring resources and others can manage them well, so there
is constructive forward motion, too.. A low-funds dot-org like OSGeo
must be careful about using cash

* Sending committed representatives of OSGeo to a committee process is
simultaneously an investment in those individuals, and OSGeo, and the
committee process.. So if real synergy is possible, then many benefits
may be seeded.. it might be good for OSGeo

* Please take seriously the deep impact of the process of software
development here.. There is literally no way anyone can predict what
breakthrough or opportunity may arise in this highly networked and
computationally powerful digital age. However, the process must have
defense.. the legal agreements and organizational disciplines of a
mature dot-org are required, not optional, to bring powerful benfits
and opportunity from early stage to realization.  Competition,
confusion of purpose, rivalry and mistrust, are real even with higher
purpose motivations. Approach the United Nations and others with
competancy each day.

  for example, one hangover, a language barrier, and mistrust created
a ridiculous series of events within our own OSGeo-Live team already,
earlier this year.. the effects of that still hang like a bad smell
while good work is being done, too ..  these are setbacks and do not
always heal well

* There are existential dangers in our age, and higher purpose action
is needed. Whether this comes from commercial actors, Universities and
institutions of learning, government, private sector.. each has their
own strengths.. a non-commercial player has an opportunity to build
relationships across these worlds. The United Nations may be a vehicle
to reach governments, in particular.

  more ideas on request
  best regards from Berkeley, California
  --Brian M Hamlin