[Board] MOT: support UN Workshop participation

Polimi maria.brovelli at polimi.it
Fri Aug 19 18:24:23 PDT 2016

Jeroen, in my opinion the reasoning is upside down. UNOPenGIS is a joint relevant attempt of migration from proprietary to open source GIS. But it is not the project of UN. It is also our project, as Foundation. We are putting the usual volunteer effort, many people are contributing with less or much time. UN is putting the time of part of the staff and the support for their traveling. The same is doing  the other teams contributing (like GEOShape, GeoSDI, the Korean Government,etc). What we are asking to OSGeo, as it was decide that this is an interesting attempt ( the aim is to verify if and how much it is possible to migrate to OS and this, in my opinion, is something of interest of OSGeo), is to support our travel to the workshop because this is important for speeding up the activity of that global heterogenous team.
In conclusion: is this really interesting for OSGeo or not? if, at the end of the day, the answer is not, better to know it before.  OSGeo can decide that we prefer to focus on something different and to put our effort on something more relevant for us. But it has to be decided. At this point, instead of saying that I'm doing this and that as OSGeo and G4A, I'll say that I'm doing that as Maria. Or simply, I go in holiday and avoid working all August. The point is what we think as strategic. If this is not strategic for OSGeo, just let me know ;-)
Cheers,
Maria

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137617942@N02/

Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli
Vice Rector for Como Campus and GIS Professor
Politecnico di Milano

ISPRS WG IV/5 "Web and Cloud Based Geospatial Services and Applications"; OSGeo; GeoForAll Advisory Board; NASA WorldWind Europa Challenge; SIFET

Sol Katz Award 2015

Via Natta, 12/14 - 22100 COMO (ITALY)
Tel. +39-031-3327336 - Mob. +39-328-0023867 - fax. +39-031-3327321
e-mail1: maria.brovelli at polimi.it
e-mail2: prorettrice at como.polimi.it