[Board] News item for announcing OSGeo as supporting organisation GWF 2016

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Sun Feb 7 07:16:39 PST 2016

Dear board,

I prepared a news item for the OSGeo news section on the website as an
action for the decision to act as supporting organisation for GWF 2016.
Please change and update where appropriate.
Any tips or advise how I should proceed to organise the site event is
more than welcome.

*OSGeo news* *OSGeo supporting organisation of the Geospatial World
Forum in Rotterdam May 23 - 26*

According to the new OSGeo Vision "Empower everyone with open source
geospatial", OSGeo decided to step forward, not only towards the calssic
community activities, but also to the broader Geospatial Community in
general.

One of the goals for the next ten years is to foster the use of open
source geospatial software.

It is in this role that OSGeo is happy to be invited as a supporting
organisation for the Geospatial World Forum conference [1]. The
conference will take place in Rotterdam May 2016, 23 - 26.
As Osgeo we will have the chance to present the different activities we
are standing for, and the different initiatives we support.
It is a great forum to present some of the great projects OSGeo hosts to
a broader geospatial community. We think as an inclusive software
foundation, it is very important to be present at all sort of Geo
events, enlarging our impact on the Globe.

OSGeo will organise a full day event on May 24 and want to initiate for
this reason a call for papers from OSGeo projects to promote our core
values and products. Volunteers can contact Dirk Frigne to help
organising the event.

Dirk

[1] http://geospatialworldforum.org/

--