[Board] Project sponsoring

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Feb 20 05:27:27 PST 2016

Hi board,

I just received an email from a company, as a long time user of GDAL, that
would have been interested in sponsoring it. They found
http://gdal.org/sponsorship.html, that is a remain of the time were there was
a sponsorhip program through OSGeo (I should probably remove the page
completely). As far as I understand, due to the 501(c)(4) status, this is no
longer possible.

So currently they have no direct way of sponsoring GDAL specific activities,
except sponsoring developers directly. Sponsoring OSGeo is of course a way of
indirectly sponsoring OSGeo projects, for example to fund the shared IT
infrastructure, or code sprints, but this has a more limited impact on day-to-
day maintenance activities led by a project: bug triage & fixing, reviewing &
applying contributions, monitoring and maintenance of coutinuous integration
environments, user assistance on mailing list, release process, ...

I'm not sure if there's a way forward for this. QGIS has for example
established their qgis.org association for activities that are close to the
past OSGeo project sponsorship. I see there's a GvSIG association too. Perhaps
other projects with similar needs have adopted similar solutions.

I'm not particularly requesting any action from the board. This was just to
share this experience and see if the board has some thoughts about the topic
in general. For example, if the solution of project-specific associations is
something that the board is happy with or would encourage, or if it is
indifferent to funding solutions the projects may adopt. Direct funding of
developers is also a solution, although for most activities I mentioned above,
it can be difficult to get, contrary to funding that is feature oriented. And
even if you get it, formally, it's funding of developer/company X, and not of
project Y.

By the way, I see the GDAL page points to
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Sponsorship : I guess this one is no longer
valid ?

Cheers,

Even