[Board] GeoTools project request for legal advice on file headers

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 15:18:23 PDT 2016

I get to contact the board as GeoTools project officer for a change - the
GeoTools project has recently relaxed it file header guidance
<https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/Updates-to-Copyright-Header-Policy>
just focus on capturing date of file creation).  As part of our research on
this topic we did not find any recent american guidance (for example formed
since the US joined the Berne convention).

Since OSGeo is incorporated in the US, and holds the copyright for GeoTools
we wish to ask for legal advice on this topic.

The official mandate from GeoTools PMC is: "Obtain legal advice on the need
for and form of source code copyright headers."

Can we ask that this be added to the upcoming board meeting agenda.
--
Jody Garnett