[Board] Motion: 2016 Elections calendar

Vasile Craciunescu vasile at geo-spatial.org
Thu Jun 16 03:56:16 PDT 2016

Dear board members,

Following the discussions from the last board meeting, I forward this
motion to you:

Organize the 2016 OSGeo charter and board members elections with the
following calendar:

— 2016-07-04 to 2016-07-24 for new charter members;
— 2016-09-05 to 2016-09-25 for board open positions.

My reasons for starting a motion and not a discussion for the calendar
are listed bellow:

- Elections in August is not a very good idea due to vacation time
(especially in Europe);
- Reversing the order of elections is also not a good idea as the new
charter members will have to wait for an entire year in order to be able
to vote;
- The time is too short for newly elected members to really plan a trip
to Bonn. More, some of the continuing members will not attend the
conference. I think is better to have our annual face-to-face meeting
announced well ahead, at a time where all the directors can go, like the
meeting we had in January. Even if this is more expensive for the
foundation. A meeting is still possible in Bonn for the attending
directors, with skype/hangout connections for the others.

Best,
Vasile