[Board] Application for funding QGIS Codesprint/Developers meeting - QGIS HackFest, Girona

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 07:24:05 PDT 2016

Thanks, it is noisy on the public list.

I have sorted out an approach with the board and will send the email
motions when I get to a computer.

I would also encourage you to reach out to boundless qgis contacts as they
have access to small sponsorship amounts.
On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 7:20 AM Venkatesh Raghavan <venka.osgeo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2016/03/18 1:58, Steven Feldman wrote:
>
> If the process is clear and simple, maybe the Conference Committee could take on the process of administering events funding/sponsorship. It would seem to be the best equipped to do this as the CC should have an overview of other events to avoid overlap and experience of both large and small events. I have copied in the CC list so that others can express an opinion or an objection.
>

> I think Conference Committee can be assigned to formulate a
> clear and simple process and handle administration of events
> funding/sponsorship requests for code sprints and events.
>
> Since we are almost through with handling the request from
> the organizers of QGIS event hackfest in Girona, the CC can
> take up the task of administrating future requests.
>
> Best
>
> Venka
>

> Cheers
>

> ______
> Steven
>

> On 17 Mar 2016, at 16:37, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can I suggest a pause to consider:
> Is there a policy on sponsorship of events, hackfests or codesprints? If not shouldn’t there be?
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines> (see "Submission of a funding request").
>
> There is a policy on osgeo supporting codesprints. The policy is expressed in terms of OSGeo sharing the financial risk of the code sprint (not the same thing as sponsorship). Sometimes that works out as "cheaper" (if sponsorship comes through) and some times as more expensive. This is why we ask  for a budget as part of the procedure.
>
> In this case the request has come in, following the procedure. As part of reviewing the request I noticed that the code sprint is part of a larger event (which looks amazing, and also a bit shy of sponsorship).
>
> Rather than approve the funding request outright I am trying to ask if we can share the financial risk in some fashion.
> What is the process for other events to seek sponsorship?
> Code sprints have the above policy, foss4g events are the subjet of a bidding process (and an entire committee).
>
> Often local chapters put on events, some due so as their own not-for-profit, but often it is just individuals or organizations taking on the risk.
> Is there a budget amount for event sponsorship?
> There is an operational budget: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Operational_Budget_for_2016 <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Operational_Budget_for_2016> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Operational_Budget_for_2016>
>
> This activity touches on two operational budgets: outreach and events

> [...]

Jody Garnett