[Board] hangout tomorrow

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:43:08 PDT 2016

Great suggestion from Dirk to consider: "motivate new people to get
involved into the OSGeo community".

I can see some positive moves already from the board reaching out to
organisations to make them feel welcome within OSGeo.

What I think was done especially well during the young formative years
of OSGeo was embrace community ideas and encourage the community to
implement them with the blessing of the OSGeo board.

In part, I think it was a recognition that OSGeo is a community driven
organisation, and OSGeo board's biggest value is blessing and promoting
people from the community who step up to scratch an itch and volunteer
to get something done.

One thing we have raised on conference committee list was a need to mend
the relationship between OSGeo and Location-Tech, as it has impacted the
FOSS4G bidding process. I expect that improving this relationship will
lead to both communities feeling more inspired to create better FOSS4G
conferences, which in turn will empower and attract volunteers.

Warm regards, Cameron